the view from my window
* * *
highlights from today:
- most hopeful fact: even without any caps or emissions trading schemes (ETS) or bunker levies in place, it would be possible, right now, through technical and operational means, for the shipping industry to reduce emissions by 15%. that's pretty exciting news for an industry that has 1 billion tons of CO2 emissions per year.
- coolest made-up word: oligopolistic (meaning oil rules)
- most radical suggestion: individual CO2 quotas for every single person on the planet--1 for each of us--would make a fair ETS possible.
- biggest understatment: "peter the great was an awfully good sailor."
- best quote: "i'm the difference between now and a beer."
- best find: pride and prejudice and zombies
* * *
lowlights from today:
- that tired, yawning feeling immediately post-lunch.
- feeling invisible as the only woman in the room who wasn't admin or hotel staff or carrying an important asian guy's notebook/man purse.
- that whole strange conference politeness ritual that is at once bureaucratic and sycophantic with undertones of communism coated in a veneer of thinly-disguised slime arising from mixing CEOS with politicians and industry organizations and oil majors.
- too much crap coffee, not enough latte.
- shop was out of light yellow converse all-stars in my size.
- ending the day with a killer headache.
* * *
i wonder what tomorrow will bring?