Saturday, September 03, 2011

magical mushrooms








it's mushroom season. the forest floor is carpeted with a huge variety. i lament my slim knowledge of mushrooms again and again. i need a mushroom mentor. i know that the red ones are beautiful, but will make you quite sick, yet still i'm utterly charmed by them. 

yesterday, i found a nice patch of chanterelles, which i made for dinner (but neglected to properly photograph, other than with instagram). that little yellow one is plentiful and delicious -a yellow swamp brittlegill. the bottom one, i want to know more about...it somehow seems like pure mushroom perfection...velvety, perfectly shaped, the very picture of how a mushroom should be. i wish someone would invent a mushroom identifying app. because i would totally use that.

if anyone knows what any of these are called, please let me know!! (i know red ones are amanitas.)

12 comments:

Barb said...

Those red ones look like candy!

Karen said...

Beautiful red mushroom images! Aren't they poisonous?

celkalee said...

I don't know doodle about mushrooms, but your pictures are amazing.

Miss Footloose said...

Beautiful! The red ones look just like the ones they always have as illustrations in children's books in Holland, stories about pixies and elves who live in these red mushrooms.

In France and I think in Italy as well, you can take your mushrooms to the local pharmacies and have them identified for you, and be told whether you can eat them or not.

I once saw a book about mushrooms, totally amazing how cool they are!

nic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nic said...

that red one looks like fly agaric and was used to make flykiller

julochka said...

nic - the red one is a fly agaric (amanita muscaria) and while it won't kill it, it may make you hallucinate. the sami people in lapland use it in their ceremonies, usually in dried form. i read that they learned to use it after seeing reindeer high from eating them. i found some that were quite eaten by slugs - i wonder if they got high too? :-)

Gretel said...

Although if eaten in quantity, fly agarics will kill you...I think there was some chap who regulalrly ate them for breakfast once, and keeled over! That is a coral fungus, (the one which looks like...coral) you can eat some of those but they are pretty tasteless. The yellow one I'd avoid and the burgundy one, they look like inedible rusullas to me though I've not got a book to hand. The bottom one looks good to me...might be worth checking out to see if edible. I must get over to our woods this week and see what's happening!

Lisa-Marie said...

Lovely. Of course, my favourite are the bright red ones :)

Suecae Sounds said...

Gorgeous, but (some of them, at least) are poisonous.

Suecae Sounds said...

Gorgeous, but (some of them, at least) are poisonous.

Andi said...

I adore mushrooms of all kinds and most importantly the ones in the dishes my husband makes like chantrelles and israeli couscous or morilles and pasta...yum!